WJAC 6 News - Search Results
Propane odor sickens students, staff at Bedford Co. school
By: Marc Stempka
EAST SAINT CLAIR TOWNSHIP, Pa. --
A Bedford County school was evacuated Monday following a gas odor that spread through the building.
Officials with the Chestnut Ridge School District said students and staff were evacuated from the high school at about 9 a.m. after people began to notice a strong odor of propane in the building.
Chestnut Ridge Superintendent Mark Kudlawiec said after the school received a propane delivery in the morning, some of the fumes entered the schools ventilation system.
Officials evacuated the school at about 10 a.m., sending students to a nearby football field.
Kudlawiec said two instructors and six students were examined by medical personnel at the school after showing side effects of gas exposure. Two of those students were transported to an area hospital as an additional precaution for further evaluation.
Kudlawiec said firefighters checked the building for additional signs of the gas and allowed everyone back in to the building at about 11 a.m.
The school day continued as normal, Kudlawiec said.