Most Shared

Weather Alert

WINTER STORM WARNINGS, WINTER WEATHER ADVISORIES

The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning for Cambria, Somerset, Bedford, Blair, Huntingdon and Southern Centre counties for Wednesday. A Winter Weather Advisory has been issued for Indiana, Clearfield and Northern Centre counties as well for lesser amounts of snow. In the warning areas, 3-6" will fall by Wednesday afternoon with 2-3" in the advisory areas.

WEATHER ALERT

WJAC 6 News - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Fire in Elk Co. breaks out Sunday morning

By: Sarah Rebb

KERSEY, Pa. -- Dispatchers said a single-family home caught fire on the 200 block of Dagus Mines Road, Kersey, Elk County, sometime around 5 Sunday morning. 

Fire Chief Scoot Surra told 6 News when he arrived he could see smoke coming from the structure, and after he spoke with homeowners he said they reported visible fire in the attic of the home.

At the time, Surra said, there were five people in the home: a grandmother, 62, who was the homeowner; daughter, 39; the son-in-law of the grandmother, 40; a grandson, 17; and the grandsons girlfriend, 16. There were no reported injuries.

Surra said when the first engine arrived; firefighters initially attacked the fire on the second floor, accessed the attic and put out the flames.

Overall, getting to the rest of the hot spots from the fire was more difficult because of icy conditions, he said.

When the second tanker arrived they had a hard time getting to the fire hydrant and they had to shovel out the hydrant which took up precious time.

Surra said they had the fire contained within 15 to 20 minutes and a total of an hour to put the fire out.

No firefighters were reported injured.

Surra said the Elk County Search and Rescue team did set up a tent with a heater for firefighters who could get warm after being soaked.

The fire marshal said the fire was accidental and it appeared to be caused by an overheated circuit from space heaters.


 
Advertise with us!
Edgar Snyder

Washington Times

Talkers