WJAC 6 News - Search Results
DuBois community helps victims displaced by weekend apartment complex fire
By: Lauren Hensley
DUBOIS, Pa. -- Ten apartments on the 100 block of East Park Avenue in DuBois went up in flames Saturday afternoon. State police investifators are calling it an accident. Now the community is coming together to help those who lost everything in the blaze.
Two people were hurt in that fire. A firefighter was hurt when he slipped and fell on ice, the other was the woman who lived in the apartment where the fire started and she suffered second-degree burns on her hand.
Angela Stewart, the general manager of the Homewood Suites by Hilton in DuBois, was working Saturday afternoon and could see the flames from the hotel.
"My mother actually called me and told me to look out the hotel, and we could see the fire from the hotel, we could see the flames and the smoke and I knew we had to do something right away once we found out," Stewart said. "A lot of families are in there and I knew we had to do something for the community."
Stewart said the hotel opened rooms to those displaced by the fire and several local businesses are also stepping up to help, by collecting clothing and household items for the victims. The amount of donations filled hotel luggage carts.
"My friends own a salon, Style For You, in town and they have graciously become a drop-off point for clothing and anything anyone is willing to donate," Stewart said. "It has actually been [doing] so well that they are running out of space. So they are going to come up here and sort through everything and let the families go through and get anything they might need."
According to the fire marshal's investigation, the fire started in the middle of the apartment complex after a tenant had a candle lit on an end table and unknowingly placed a blanket on the candle.